What exactly does Mark Zuckerberg Own and is He really as Powerful as we think He is?

Hello there La Vida New Media Enthusiasts, hope this Tuesday finds you well. In the spirit of relating this week’s new media question back to our #emac6300 class readings I am daring to enter the Facebook domain, analyze CEO Mark Zuckerberg and ask the tough questions. WARNING: This Blog Post May Require 2 Advil Gel Caplets. It’s about to get deep.

This week’s reading materials open a discussion about how models of ownership are changing and evolving in regards to the bevy of information now readily available in the public domain. Any person with Internet access can search for terms like ‘credit history+their name’ and within seconds a slew of reports pop up on Google. Who owns this information? The individual? The Government? The Credit Bureau marketing their services? It’s not entirely clear, but that’s not even half the issue. One cannot address means of ownership without also considering the factor of ‘Power’. These two issues naturally coincide and make issues surrounding ‘Net Neutrality’ even more complex.

After compiling the 2010 Forbes ‘“World’s 100 Most Powerful Women List” journalist Mary Ellen Egan posted a blog entitled Rethinking Power and asked readers to submit feedback regarding this year’s list, what power means to them and how does one accurately measure influence. The blog makes an excellent point…

“This year, when I was charged with restructuring our “World’s 100 Most Powerful Women” list, I had to reexamine the notion of power. In the past, power was very much tied to title and wealth.  But today, thanks to the Internet and Social Networks, you don’t have to be rich or important to reach a mass audience. So Lady Gaga, who has 6.5 million Twitter followers, has her own sphere of influence. But it’s a very different one than say, Angela Merkel, the chancellor of Germany and the only female head of a G8 economy. Putting this list together has been an interesting exercise in thinking about power and how it’s measured. Did we succeed? Did we fail? I’m interested to hear your thoughts, complaints, or faint praise.”

After reading this post a million thoughts flooded my conscious and I needed to step back so that I could accurately reflect about how this relates to the Facebook King himself, Mr. Mark Zuckerberg.

My skepticism towards Facebook’s and Mark Zuckerberg’s perceived values only increased after watching The Social Network (a documentary film about Facebook’s conception based on the best selling novel Accidental Billionaires written by Ben Mezrich) earlier this month. As a New Media Enthusiast/Investigative Social Media Reporter I still find it hard to believe that economists have put a $25 Billion dollar value on Facebook. Sure there is Ad Revenue, global influence, and an invaluable vault of web traffic statistics and consumer demographics companies would sell their children for, but does Mark Zuckerberg really own as much information as we think he does? And more importantly because he (rather his company) perceivably owns this wealth of information, does a vast amount of power come with ownership?  I have to say, there’s a stout amount of evidence which leads to answer a cautious, resounding yes.

However on the other side of the equation, a significantly large audience still doubts that Facebook dictates the amount of influence it reportedly has for a variety of reasons. As frivolous as their reasons may be (Zuckerberg’s too young, There is no way it’s possible, etc.) these lingering doubts provide evidence that the battle is still being fought and people are still hesitant about the information ownership issues Zuckerberg controls. The below graphic, compliments of valleywag.gawker.com made me laugh outloud:

So weigh in readers and let me know your thoughts. What exactly do you think Mark Zuckerberg owns? Is he really as powerful as we think he is? If you wanted to own Facebook tomorrow, how much would you shell out? The questions are there, I look to you for potential answers/feedback.

Advertisements

11 Comments (+add yours?)

1. kknight08
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 13:24:04

Good questions about Zuckerberg though I’m not sure I understand the connection to the list of powerful women?

2. wordtoyourmedia
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 19:43:14

I’m in total agreement with everything in this article.

3. missnesbitpro
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 14:35:49

Ummm you can google your name and credit score and it’ll come up with something???? Whaaat??? How accurate is that?

Ok, moving on… you bring up some interesting questions about Zuckerberg, but I think that as big as Facebook has gotten, his ultimate power has been delegated to many people. I think he still has the final say on what does and doesn’t become a part of Facebook, but I’m not sure that all the power on what comes up lies with him.

4. Gregory Dingillo
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 02:25:32

Whether you are familiar with Mark Zuckerberg depends to a considerable extent on your age and Internet savvy. The greater the one, the less the other, the more this soon to be iconic name will be unknown… and that, of course, means you’re the oldest of fogies… and must instantly make amends. I intend to make that very easy for you.Zuckerberg was born on May 14, 1984 in a “Leave It to Beaver” town with the quintessential name of Dobbs Ferry, New York. His life consisted of the very best and most appealing of what suburban life in the Great Republic offers; his father a dentist, his mother (before the birth of her four children), a psychiatrist. His was a loving, close-knit family that valued the most important thing of all: education, and made sure Mark got the best.”

Freshest brief article on our own web portal
    <http://www.beautyfashiondigest.com/keloid-removal/

5. www.mysoftwareprocess.com
    May 02, 2013 @ 22:33:22

I do not even know the way I finished up right here, however I thought
    this publish used to be good. I do not recognize who
    you might be but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger in the event you aren’t already.

Cheers!

6. Read Full Article
    May 20, 2013 @ 04:53:58

Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m planning to start my
    own blog in the near future but I’m having a tough time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m
    looking for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for
    getting off-topic but I had to ask!

7. one way link building services
    May 22, 2013 @ 12:26:05

I constantly emailed this webpage post page to all my friends, since if like to read it next my friends will too.

8. kpfonline.ning.com
    May 29, 2013 @ 10:43:23

Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on other websites?
    I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would love to have
    you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would appreciate your work.
    If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

9. link building agency
    Jun 06, 2013 @ 21:53:48

Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She
    placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside
    and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is
    completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

10. Seo marketing service
    Jun 22, 2013 @ 19:45:58

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering problems with your site.

It appears as though some of the written text on your content are running off the screen.
    Can someone else please provide feedback and let me
    know if this is happening to them too? This may be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen before. Thanks

11. product key for microsoft office 2010
    Apr 11, 2014 @ 04:31:36

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the easiest thing
    to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that
    they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon
    the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal.

Will likely be back to get more. Thanks