#YoSoy132 – Mexico’s Students & Media Use

“The educated youth of a nation are the trustees of it’s posterity.” – Benjamin Disraeli

Courtesy of DallasNews.com

If we measure news traveling down a grapevine exchange between Dallas, Texas and Mexico City- each headline journeys 1,135 miles every time these neighbors trade updates. But several weeks ago, the Dallas Morning News wire (one of today’s numerous digital grapevines…) released Alfredo Corchado’s fascinating story describing a student-driven movement that uses the name ‘#YoSoy132 as a way to identify/raise awareness about their cause which they hope will bring permanent change to a corrupt education system plaguing the current and future Mexican student community. It’s a genuinely inspiring article that lends a unique perspective to research investigating how Latin American university environments employing emerging media platforms deal with the consequent implications- both positive and negative.

Corchado’s reporting and other field accounts from major news networks like CNN and the BBC World News, all documenting the passionate activity surrounding #YoSoy132’s student protest movement coincidentally began to receive coverage just as this research project began; therefore it’s critical to read, analyze and monitor this story’s ongoing online development and how Mexico’s university campuses will or will not advocate relevant discussions.

At the end of 2012, Mexico will induct the newly elected President at the conclusion of current President, Felipe Calderón’s term. That said, ever since the election’s beginning numerous reports continue to debate the country’s transition and also question several broadcast media platforms who’ve allegedly given selective endorsements supporting the Institutional Revolutionary Party that presumptive president-elect Enrique Peña Nieto represents.

Courtesy of CNN.com

As a result, when Peña Nieto made an appearance on the Ibero-American University / Mexico City campus earlier this summer, students formed a heckling protest voicing their opposition toward the government’s passive reforms, Peña Nieto, and other responsible leaders (i.e. Elba Esther Gordillo, leader of the national teachers’ union).  According to Corchado’s observations, “The candidate’s team tried to play down the incident, saying that the crowd had been infiltrated by supporters of rival Andrés Manuel López Obrador who were posing as students.

Courtesy of YouTube.com

The protest retaliation took a viral turn three days later when a YouTube video featuring 131 students introducing themselves while presenting their school identification card as proof, received 1 million+ views in a 10 day period.  #YoSoy132 also circulated on Twitter as a hashtag discussion and news about the movement spread worldwide.  #YoSoy132 and the  students, parents, and other individuals wanting to help spread awareness about education conditions failing to help Mexico’s student community use an expansive arsenal of emerging media platforms to generate dialogue, organize committee meeting strategies and designate spokespeople.  Beyond Twitter and Youtube, wikipages and of course other university Facebook accounts all offer information about how to help those supporting the movement.

In the coming weeks, students everywhere will begin a new Fall semester at their respective universities but it’s undeniable that 100s of universities throughout Mexico will continue to discuss events surrounding #YoSoy132.  More importantly, educators, administrators, and students will also converse about what significant changes will impact their country’s future students socially, economically, politically and culturally.  But not surprisingly, a select percentage feel concern that creating a lasting impact to ensure permanent, enduring changes will require more than a strategic albeit dynamic social media effort which supports #YoSoy132.

Courtesy of CNN.com

Raul Trejo Delarbre, a professor who studies social media at the National Autonomous University of Mexico observes that indeed, “Social media savvy isn’t enough to maintain a movement… the leaderless group — accused by critics of lacking direction — must better define its main demands.”  And to his point, Reforma newspaper columnist Carmen Aristegui F.  asks “Are we or are we not before an authentic Mexican Spring?  Depends, of course, on students believing it themselves and on many other sectors of society … finding in them the creation of a space where their own hopes and concerns are reflected.

Yet even considering these daunting aspirations, there is a confident optimism delicately circulating amongst the student masses and those who support them.  As Angel Rodriguez, 19, a student at a music school run by Mexico’s City’s cultural ministry shares, “There is a spark, but if we leave it apathetically, it will dissolve.”  What an incredibly earnest observation but imagine the detrimental consequences if this discussion never even caught fire?

Connect with Amanda Montgomery || @acmontgomery

Advertisements

20 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Amedar
    Aug 22, 2012 @ 20:25:40

magnificent submit, very informative. I ponder why the opposite specialists of this sector do not realize this. You must proceed your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers’ base already!

2. lista de emails
    Aug 30, 2012 @ 18:03:24

3. avlogbook.com
    Jun 24, 2013 @ 06:23:16

This is really fascinating, You are an excessively professional blogger.
    I have joined your feed and sit up for looking for extra of your
    excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks

4. Jasper
    Jul 03, 2014 @ 21:34:01

A great deal of functions and features on these steam showers, I love the multimedia opinion and also
    the lighting style

5. beauty products
    Jul 25, 2014 @ 14:51:33

Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Many thanks

6. feminine tattoos
    Aug 31, 2014 @ 01:19:32

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different web
    address and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you.

Look forward to finding out about your web page
    again.

7. Cloud PBN Bonus
    Aug 31, 2014 @ 14:36:13

Hi there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and
    let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly.

I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried
    it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

8. street fighter iv
    Sep 04, 2014 @ 06:26:48

I blog frequently and I truly thank you for your information. The
    article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to take a note of your website and
    keep checking for new information about once per week.
    I subscribed to your Feed as well.

9. what is social media
    Sep 04, 2014 @ 10:59:29

Usually I don’t read post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very
    pressured me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me.

Thank you, quite nice post.

10. LED grow lights
    Sep 05, 2014 @ 11:41:17

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she keeps the image of a user
    in his/her brain that how a user can understand it.
    Thus that’s why this piece of writing is great. Thanks!

11. cheap red bottom high heel shoes
    Sep 08, 2014 @ 23:01:24

Hi would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re
    utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you suggest a good web hosting provider at a fair price?
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

12. google plus android app
    Sep 20, 2014 @ 07:07:43

great issues altogether, you just received a emblem new reader.
    What may you recommend about your post that you made a few days ago?
    Any certain?

13. Green Coffee Bean max
    Sep 20, 2014 @ 23:16:45

When I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked
    the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is added I recieve four emails with the exact same comment.
    There has to be a way you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks a lot!

14. Joycelyn
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 03:22:30

My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find most
    of your post’s to be exactly what I’m looking for.
    Do you
    offer guest writers to write content for
    yourself? I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on a
    number of the subjects you write in relation to here.
    Again, awesome web log!

15. best grow lights
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 18:05:41

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless,
    you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following.
    unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case
    you shield this hike.

16. yacon molasses review
    Oct 02, 2014 @ 09:07:07

I’ll deal with all natural dietary supplements as I think there are too many risks for taking man made medicine when all natural supplements will help most individuals.

17. Http://Www.Freewebsite-Service.Com/
    Dec 13, 2014 @ 23:36:17

It was a great test that allows us to educate others on the importance of
    having a homepage social media feed. In addition, you
    should check the range of services provided in each SEO package.
    Secret and Proprietary Technique That Cannot be Revealed:.

18. fitbit charge wireless activity and sleep wristband
    Jun 18, 2015 @ 01:07:47

The center child of the bunch, the $149 Cost HR,
    is a step up from the $129 Charge.

19. turtle beach ear force xlc
    Jun 20, 2015 @ 03:50:29

The Logitech Wi-fi Gaming Headset G930 and the Turtle Seashore Ear Force PX4 are nice buys in this $one hundred and one to $one
    hundred fifty worth range.

20. bang gia thue xe
    Nov 24, 2015 @ 22:31:52

This is my first time visit at here and i am really happy to
    read everthing at alone place.